This blog provides an informal forum for terrestrial invertebrate watchers to post recent sightings of interesting observations in the southern Vancouver Island region. Please send your sightings by email to Jeremy Tatum ( Be sure to include your name, phone number, the species name (common or scientific) of the invertebrate you saw, location, date, and number of individuals. If you have a photograph you are willing to share, please send it along. Click on the title above for an index of past sightings.The index is updated most days.

April 25

2015 April 25


    Please see below an exciting memo from Aziza Cooper concerning a field trip in June led by Mike Zip to Mount Cokely to see lots of butterflies that we don’t get here.  Note that the departure time is 9:00 am, (not 9:30 as wrongly given in an earlier version which you may have seen).  Note also Aziza’s last sentence – she would like a reply from those who plan to go!


    Hi Butterfly watchers,


Mike Yip has offered to guide us on a trip to Mount Cokely to search for butterflies. He would like to go on Saturday, June 13. In case of cloudy weather, we would try for the following week, June 20. Weekends are best due to logging truck traffic during the week.


We would leave from Helmcken Park and Ride at 9:00 am, and meet Mike at the PetroCan station at Nanoose Bay at 10:45am. Access to Mount Cokely is from the Alberni Summit. Roads are dirt but in good shape – no need for four-wheel drive or high clearance.


We will drive to the bottom of the old ski hill. On the way we should find at least a dozen species. Mike writes: Besides the more common species we have a good chance of seeing Boisduval’s, Silvery, and Western Tailed Blues; Arctic Skipper, Persius Duskywing, Clodius Apollo, Western Sulphur, Western Meadow Fritillary, and Great Arctic


From the ski hill it’s a stiff climb to the summit for those who want to check for the Rocky Mountain Apollo and Arctic Blue. Elevation gain is 600m. Here is a link to a description of the climb:


The trip will be postponed in case of cloudy weather, till June 20 or possibly July 25 or August 1. Forest closures might be a problem for the later dates if the summer is a scorcher.


This is an all-day trip. Bring water and a lunch; dress for the weather – hopefully sunny! Bring butterfly field guides, camera, close-focus binocs and hiking boots.


We will be sharing driving and expenses, about $15 each. Please reply to this email (tanageraz at to let me know if you’re interested and say if you’re willing to drive and how many riders you could take.